Formerly called San Felipe Neri, Mandaluyong was once a barrio of Sta. Ana de Sapa, Province of Tondo, during the Spanish colonial rule. It was separated from Sta. Ana de Sapa in 1841 and established its own parish in 1863.
During the American regime, it became a first class municipality but was later consolidated with the municipality of San Juan del Monte under Presidential Act No. 942. For several months in 1904, it became the capital of the province of Rizal. It became an independent municipality by virtue of House Bill No. 3836 in 1907, and was officially named the Municipality of Mandaluyong.
At the onset of World War II, the municipality was occupied by the Japanese and later liberated by American forces on February 9, 1945. In the 1960's, following a period of reconstruction and development, it became a component municipality of the Greater Manila Area, which today is known as Metropolitan Manila.
On February 9, 1994, forty-nine years after its liberation from the Japanese, Mandaluyong has been converted into a highly urbanized city by virtue of Republic Act 7675 signed by then President Fidel V. Ramos.
Residents of Mandaluyong have always been known for their industry. Men did the laundry to the amusement of non-residents until shortly after the war, while the women ironed the clothes.
These industrious people trace their roots to Emperor Soledan (also known as “Anka Widyaya” of the Great Madjapahit Empire) and Empress Sasaban of the Kingdom of Sapa whose son Prince Balagtas ruled as sovereign of the kingdom in about the year 1300.
More than a century later, in about the year 1470, it expanded and was called the “Kingdom of Namayan” with “Lakan Takhan” as sovereign. The vast Kingdom comprised what are now Quiapo, San Miguel, Sta. Mesa, Paco, Pandacan, Malate and Sta. Ana in Manila, and Mandaluyong, San Juan, Makati, Pasay, Pateros, Taguig, Parañaque, and portions of Pasig and Quezon City up to Diliman that were then part of Mandaluyong.
Mandaluyong was first known as a barrio of Sta. Ana de Sapa which was part of the District of Paco, Province of Tondo. Named San Felipe Neri by the Spaniards in honor of the Patron Saint of Rome, it was separated civilly from Sta. Ana de Sapa in 1841.
On September 15, 1863 San Felipe Neri established its own parish and under the administration of the Congregation “Dulcisimo Nombre de Jesus”, it constructed its own church, convent and school.
The Parish of San Felipe Neri played a significant role as a relay station for propagating the Katipunan during the 1896-1898 Revolution. It was in Barangay Hagdang Bato on August 28, 1896 where Andres Bonifacion issued a proclamation setting Saturday, August 29, 1896 as the date of the attack on Manila. It was also in this town that the revolutionary paper, “La Republika”, was established on September 15, 1896.
During the American regime, San Felipe Neri was raised to a first class municipality with five (5) barrios, namely: Poblacion, Barangka, Hagdang Bato, Namayan and Hulo. Under Presidential Act No. 942, it was consolidated with the municipality of San Juan del Monte and became the seat of government. For several months in 1904, San Felipe Neri became the capital of the province of Rizal.
San Felipe Neri was separated from San Juan and became an independent municipality on March 27, 1907. It was renamed the Municipality of Mandaluyong by virtue of House Bill No. 3836 which was authored and sponsored by Assemblyman Pedro Magsalin, then the Representative of the District of Rizal.
During World War II, Mandaluyong lost many of her people, among them were Catholic priests and civilians. Destruction was felt all over, but with the timely arrival of the American Liberation Forces on February 9, 1945, the municipality was saved from further damages. That day became a red calendar day for Mandaluyong marking its liberation from the Japanese Imperial forces by the Americans.
In the 60’s, Mandaluyong became a component municipality of Metropolitan Manila. Together with other component cities and municipalities, it has undergone significant physical and economic transformation. From a forestal town to a progressive municipality, Mandaluyong is now a highly urbanized city known to host most of the country’s best companies and corporations, shopping malls and hotels which are certainly world class in status.
Listed in Table 1.04 are persons who have served as mayors of Mandaluyong from the 20th century to the new millennium.
Mandaluyong and the municipality of San Juan used to be represented in congress by a single Congressman. As it entered cityhood in 1994, Mandaluyong became a lone district with its own Representative in Congress.
Mandaluyong at the turn of the century was proclaimed by the city’s grand dads as the Millennium City, having come a long way from being a forested rolling hill to a bustling city of vibrant economic activities. It was recently named the new tiger city of Metro Manila, among other accomplishments.
Mandaluyong today is composed of 27 barangays divided into two political districts mainly by Boni Avenue and G. Aglipay Street (Map 1). As of January 9, 2002, it has 1,238 voting precincts and a total of 166,037 registered voters (Table 1.05).